Mongar Hospital was started as a small dispensary in 1955 with 3 staff consisting of a medical officer, a compounder and a vaccinator. The center was below the present Mongar High School football ground. Actually it was the beginning of health service in Mongar Dzongkhag. In spite of limited facilities and manpower, the dispensary provided health services till 1970. In 1972, The Leprosy Mission (TLM), UK took over the dispensary and upgraded it to a 12 bedded leprosy hospital at the present site. Though The Leprosy Mission was set up for leprosy control activities in the eastern region, it also provided general medical services to the population of Mongar. At the same time TLM started construction of a new hospital complexwhich was completed in 1974-75. Dr. John Gitter was the first Medical Officer from the TLM to work in the new hospital. The new 60 bedded hospital with fully equipped operation theater, laboratory and X-ray unit was run by the mission till 1992.
In 1993, the Hospital was handed over to the Government and became the District hospital. In line with the Government’s policy of equitable distribution of health services, the Health Department established three Regional Referral hospitals in each region of the country at the beginning of 8th FYP. Mongar General Hospital being centrally located in the eastern region was identified as Eastern Regional Referral Hospital in 1996. In 2000 it was upgraded to an 80 bedded center with an additional 20 more beds. Hence, this hospital has been providing secondary and some tertiary level health care services to the 6 Eastern Dzongkhags and Bumthang from the central region. The total population in the catchment area of this hospital is about 191,279(NP& HC, 2005). The present 150 bedded hospital is being built under the GOI funded project which started in 1996-1997 with the staff quarters and other planning process for the present project. The present construction started on 17th May 2005 and is supposed
to be over by 17th March 2007 (duration of 22 months) at a tendered cost of Nu. 332.623 million (estimated cost of Nu.307 million). The Lhabsang (ground breaking) and the Rabney ceremonies were graced by his Holiness the Jey Khenpo on the 18th May 2005 and 23rd April 2007 respectively. The present hospital was officially inaugurated by HE Mr. Sudhir Vyas the Indian Ambassador to Bhutan on June 6, 2008.
Mongar Dzongkhag has a total of 5943 households with a population of 37341(18465 males & 18876 females),4091 children less than 5 years of age and 9359 women in reproductive age group.The Mongar Dzongkhag has 1 regional referral/Dzongkhag hospital, 18 health centers, 6 sub-posts and 52 ORCs. Mongar Dzongkhag had the rare honour of implementing a PHC pilot project in the late 1980s which earned the coveted Sasakawa Health Award in 1997.The following are the DMOs/Supdts in chronological order who served in Mongar: 1955 – 1970: Dr. John Burselum, Dr. Godfred Riedel (TLM Coordinator), Dr. Paul Jackman (TLM Coordinator), Dr.John Mathew, Dr.Sundar Balla,
Dr.Helen Stokes were the various mission Medical Officers who worked here. Mollie Clark, Joice Missing and Rose Mary Brown were some of the Missionary Sisters who worked at Mongar hospital.
1990 – 1993: Dr. Ugen Tshomo
1993 – 1996: Dr.Nado Zangpo
1996 – 2002: Dr. Ngawang Tenzin
2002 – 2006: Dr. Ritulal Sharma
Since Aug.2006 till 6.2. 2012 (end)
Area: about 45 acres
Staff strength: 277 (16 doctors/64 Nurses/46 Technicians/24 Maintenance staff, 10 administrative support staff /52 class IV staff, 71 others)
Staff Quarters: 60 new units with 10 old mission time structures housing about 20 staff,some private bagos.
Transport: 5 Ambulances, 1 Land Cruiser, 1 EPI van, 1 Pick up Hilux, 1 Hearse
Specialties present: Medical, Pediatrics, General Surgery, Orthopedic, Gynecology, Radiology,
Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Dentistry, Anesthesiology, Pathology, ENT (2), Indigenous Unit/Drungtsho) 1,
1 Medical Supdt., 2GDMOs: 16 Docs
Specialist absent: Microbiologist, Dermatologist, Ophthalmologist (on training)
Services available now: Round the clock casualty, 2 fully functional OTs, 2 dialysis Machines, 4 ultrasound machines, 1 endoscopy machine, 2 X-Ray machines, rudimentary telemedicine set up, 3 lifts, a standard mortuary, PABX with music system etc
Future services to be incorporated: CT/MRI, H.T/Other Chronic disease clinic, Forensic Medicine, Culture and Sensitivity testing facility (basic present now) in the lab.
Patient guest houses: 2- A new one with about 8-10 beds donated by HRH Ashi Kezang Wangmo Wangchuck, and an old one with about 4 beds.
Other vital stats:
OPD attendance 12073 13898 17819 51221 50931
Inpatient Admission 1578 2704 3138 3037 2912
Referrals to Thimphu 632 849 968 149 144
Deaths 91 110 73 70 64
Level wise details of the new hospital:
• 6 levels with 158 beds
Level – 2 (minus 2): Pharmacy and other stores
Level – (minus1): Laboratory, Physiotherapy, General Administration, HERM Unit, Maintenance offices,
HIS/Telemedicine, CSSD, Kitchen, Laundry, LT Panel, Centralized Medical Gas system, Library, General Workshop, Mortuary
Level 0: OPD Block with all Depts, Diagnostic block, Casualty Unit with 5 beds, Pharmacy, CHU/RHU,
Doctors’ lounge, Diabetic clinic, TB/Leprosy room.
Level plus 1: 4 OTs (2 functional now), Medical ICU with 9 beds (functional now)), Dialysis with 2 beds
Maternity/Birthing Unit with 20 beds, Surgical ICU with 8 beds being used as conference hall.
Level 2: General Ward with 72 beds: Medical 18, Pediatrics 18, Surgical 15, Orthopedic 12, Eye/ENT 9
Level 3: General wards (37 beds): TB patients being kept now, 16 Cabins (not operational now),
Jamtho: Lift machine/Store room.
• New Systems in the 150 bedded hospital: HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) Fire Fighting/Alarm System,
Water treatment plant with pump system, Nurse Call System, Medical Gas, Sewerage Treatment Plant (STP), PABX,
Chiller and Boiler system (for HVAC), Lifts, Laundry System, Autoclave system for all hospital waste,
2 diesel generators with diesel storage tank.