The Orthopedic Department is the oldest orthopedic referral center in the eastern Bhutan covering six districts.
The Department of Pathology and laboratory medicine(DPLM) plays a crucial role in the healthcare ecosystem, contributing significantly to patient care, disease diagnosis, treatment planning, and medical research.
A center of excellence in tertiary health care for orthopedic clinical services.
Provide an excellent, evidenced based care accompanied with compassion to all the patients
Orthopaedic OPD Services
- Routine consultation and procedure services are offered from the chamber
- All patients for walk-in patients and those referred from district hospital
- Exclusive orthopedic examination service for all acute and chronic patients
- Attending emergency calls, performing medical procedure, rehabilitation advices; and preparing patients for surgery
- Intraarticular triamcinolone injection for knee osteoarthritis
- Intraarticular injection of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for musculoskeletal conditions.
- Dry needling for myofascial pain
- Joint aspiration procedures
The casting Room is located at the ground floor just adjacent to the orthopaedic OPD to facilitate new casting and changing of cast very easily.
The services provided at cast room:
- Closed reduction and splinting for acute fractures.
- Casting and splinting for postoperative fracture cases.
- Removal of casts and splints.
Orthopedic ward has capacity of 30 beds and manned by 14 trained nurses who are highly skilled in doing dressing, medication and monitoring of the patients. The ward has television facilities for the patient’s recreation and health education.
Ward rounds are done daily irrespective of holidays and attend to any ward emergencies by the surgeons at any time. Wards are divided into 3 rooms: acute, postoperative and septic room.
The ward has facility for negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) along with wound healing stimulation therapy.
There are three surgical days in a week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday besides providing 24X7 emergency surgical services.
Fixation of common fractures of upper and lower limbs of both pediatric and adult are routinely done. Even complex surgeries such hemi arthroplasty, complex fracture fixation, contracture release, soft tissue procedures, flaps etc. are also done. In line with the latest practice, we do minimal invasive percutaneous osteosynthesis (MIPO) for most of the fractures for rapid healing and less patient morbidity.
We perform almost in range of 40-50 number of surgeries per month including both elective and emergency surgeries.
We have also latest equipment for fracture fixation like fluoroscopy, drills, implants and its sets.